Klemtu’s Solid Waste Management Program started in 2012 when the local landfill was capped off. Garbage is shipped to Port Hardy by ferry at very high cost to the community. To reduce the environmental and economic cost, we now have an extensive recycling program that is serviced by weekly curbside pickup.
Please recycle according to the Red and Blue Box Guidelines below. This includes:
- CLEAN and dry paper products (Red Box), and
- WASHED containers (metal and plastic) (Blue Box)
**Please ensure all lids are taken off, glass is place in a separate bag beside your red and blue box.
Garbage pick-up is on Friday, please have your bin on the curb by 8:30AM.
Curbside Hazardous Waste Pick-up – First Wednesday of the Month
Hazardous Waste items must be in a container for pick-up
– Paint and solvents
– Automotive wastes (motor oil, antifreeze, etc.)
– Electronics (TV, cell phones, mp3 players, etc.)
– Mercury containing wastes (switches, fluorescent lighting, thermometers, etc.)
– Batteries; aerosols and propane cylinders
– Cleaning agents and caustics
– Radioactive waste
– Appliances containing refrigerant
Curbside Bulk Pick-up – Last Wednesday of the Month
Bulk items will not be picked up, if the item are too heavy for two employees to lift.
Recycling pick-up is Monday.
Compost pick-up is Wedneday, please have your bucket(s) on the curb by 8:30AM.
Housing & Public Works Department Office: 250-839-1265