The Nursing Station (NS) provides primary care services for urgent and emergent conditions. The NS is primarily treatment based, meaning they will provide assessment/treatment and or triage/follow up (for example triage with Bella Bella Medical Clinic General Practitioners if a higher level of care is required).
In addition to primary care, the NS also provides services that would be provided by a Community Health Nurse in a Health Centre. The role of this nurse is to support health promotion in order to prevent disease, illness, and advancement of current conditions. Their primary mandate is to provide programs for maternal/child health and immunizations, but they also provide support in:
- Maternal/child health (pre postnatal) – assessment / education / support
- Newborns – assessment, immunizations, and monitor growth and development
- Infant, toddler, preschool: immunizations, screening (for vision & hearing), and monitor growth and development
- School aged & adolescent – screening (for TB skin tests, etc.), education (hand hygiene, general health, sexual health, etc.), immunization (as determined by the province)
- Adult – health, education, possibly screening, chronic disease management etc.
- Elder – Education / Screening / Immunizations – Flu vaccines / falls prevention, medications, etc.
- Home care nurse