The Kitasoo/Xai’xais bighouse was built in 2001 and the opening was held in May of 2002. The grand opening was attended by over 1000 people from many Nations up and down the coast. The material used to build the bighouse was gathered from local areas within the Kitasoo/Xai’xais territory. Today, the bighouse is an important place of cultural learning and revitalization and it is used for potlatches, feasts, gatherings, the SUA youth performance group, and tourism.