Job posting: Student Research Field Technician
Employer: Kitasoo/Xai’xais Integrated Resources Authority
Wage: $13/hr (average 8-10 hr/day) Wages will be paid on a per hour basis
Hours: An average of 8 to 10 hour per day on Saturday or Sunday throughout the Research Season
Summary of duties: Working with the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Integrated Resources Authority, the student research field technician will assist the lead researcher with all aspects of the bear monitoring program throughout Kitasoo/Xai’xais Territory on weekends. The field technician will help with site selection, hair snag site setup and take down, remote camera deployment, sample collection, and data recording. A keen attention to detail is required for the data recording portion of this position. This work will include long days in potentially inclement weather conditions. The field technician needs to be confident traveling on boats and working in high bear density areas. Reasonable physical conditioning is required for this position, as significant hiking may be involved.
Responsibilities: Hair snag site selection
Hair snag site setup and take down
Remote camera set up and take down
Hair sample collection
Pre and post field season organizational duties as assigned
- Full time student at Kitasoo Community School (Secondary)
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- PCOC or SVOP – Pleasure Craft Operator’s Certificate or Small Vessel Operator Proficiency
- ROC-M – Radio Operators Certificate – Marine
- Wilderness First Aid training
- Bear safety training
- Comfortable working on boats
- Familiarity with watersheds throughout Kitasoo/Xai’xais territory
- Comfortable working in bear country
- Moderate physical conditioning for long days and hiking
- Adaptable to a flexible schedule
Duration: This posting is for full work days (8-10 hrs) on Saturday or Sundays from early May 2017 to late June 2017. Start and end dates are flexible and subject to change.
Application: Please apply with 1) cover letter and 2) resume to Melody Robinson, Kitasoo Band Council Human Resource Officer at the Kitasoo Band Administrative Office by April 19, 2017 at 12:00pm.