Job Posting: Research Skipper EXTENDED DEADLINE!
Posted: April 4, 2017/Extended: April 19, 2017
Job posting: Research Skipper
Employer: Kitasoo/Xai’xais Integrated Resources Authority
Duration of Employment and Hourly Wage: $18.50/hr (average 8-10 hour days). Wages will be paid on a per hour basis. This posting is for approximately full time hours with a flexible schedule from early May to mid-June. Start and end dates are flexible and subject to change.
Summary of duties: Working with the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Integrated Resources Authority, the research skipper will safely navigate the research vessel to bear monitoring sampling sites throughout Kitasoo/Xai’xais territory. Extensive experience skippering vessels throughout the territory is critical. The skipper will be responsible for tracking weather, safe operation of the boat, and finding safe locations to drop researchers to shore. This work will include long days in potentially inclement weather conditions.
Responsibilities: Safe boat operations
Driving researchers from Klemtu to various research sites throughout the territory
Fueling the boat
Tracking of marine weather trends
Preseason boat preparations
Focus on capacity building with research staff on safe boat operations including maintenance of vessel, operating the vessel, safety equipment
- SVOP – Small Vessel Operator’s Certificate
- ROC-M – Radio Operators Certificate – Marine
- MED A3 – Marine Emergency Duties
- Wilderness First Aid training
- Bear safety training
- Safe boat operation and the ability to make route and weather-day decisions based on marine weather forecasts and observations
- Familiarity with the waters and marine hazards of Kitasoo/Xai’xais territory
- Superior boat handling skills
- Adaptable to a flexible schedule
- Ability to read and interpret marine charts
Application: Please apply with 1) cover letter and 2) resume to Melody Robinson, Kitasoo Band Council Human Resource Officer at the Kitasoo Band Administrative Office
by April 28, 2017 at 12:00pm.**Please note the Extended Deadline**