Summary of duties: Working with the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Integrated Resources Authority, the
research assistant will assist the lead researcher with all aspects of the Marine Protected
Area (MPA)/lndigenous Law project under Dr. Natalie Ban. The research assistant will
assist in gathering information about Kitasoo/Xai’xais laws, customs, and traditions related
to the governance and stewardship of marine areas. He or she will help with setting up
interviews, conducting interviews, transcribing them, and general research. He or she might
also assist with setting up community meetings. A keen attention to detail is required for the
transcribing portion of this position. This work will include spending time on a computer.
Reasonable computer experience is required for this position, including typing, spelling, and
• Using the Heritage Database for research
• Assisting with setting up interviews and conducting interviews with community members
• Assisting with setting up community meetings
• Transcribing audio from interviews
• Other applicable duties that may be assigned
• Computer knowledge (typing)
• Dependable and committed to working in a team environment
• Ability to work independently and within the community as required
• An understanding of the importance of a high level of confidentiality
Duration: This posting is for part time work during the work week (Monday through Friday) from late June to late August. Days, hours, and start and end dates are flexible.
Application: Please apply b Ma 30th 2017 at 12:00 m with 1) cover letter and 2)
resume to Melody Robinson, Kitasoo Band Council Human Resource Officer at the Kitasoo
Band Administrative Office.
Wage: $13/hr. Wages will be paid on a per hour basis
Hours: Flexible. This is a part time position throughout the summer during office hours