Kitasoo Band Council – Housing Repair Maintenance Trainee (Term Position)
Posted: October 30, 2017/Extended November 8, 2017
Under the general supervision of Housing & Public Works Department Manager or Designate, the Housing Repair Maintenance Trainee will also take direction from the contractors on the projects as assigned including job shadowing, on the job training and assist with housing and public works.
1. The Repair Maintenance Trainee will be required to carry out a variety of general repair and maintenance project duties at the direction of the construction manager, project supervisor and/or trades foreman that may include work such as cleaning gutters, power washing siding/decks, staining decks/stairs, HRV filter cleaning, furnace filter cleaning including changing air/oil filters in fuel oil heating systems, heat pump filter cleaning, painting, plumbing, heating, electrical, lighting, debris clean-up, lifting, fastening, carrying, delivering, receiving and other repair/maintenance project related duties as may arise;
2. Assist with Housing and Public Works projects as assigned by the supervisor including housing work orders;
3. Ensure safety/protective gear is used appropriately;
4. Perform other duties relevant to the position as assigned by the Supervisor;
5. Comply with the provisions of the Operations Manual;
6. Encourage and foster a team spirit within the Program, First Nation Office and the Kitasoo Band operations in general;
7. Adhere to the Code of Conduct as contained in the Operations Manual.
• Preferably between the ages of 18 and 30 due to funding source;
• Training or experience in building trades/building construction will be considered assets and having strong and steady work attributes;
• Construction tasks require the worker to be physically fit due to duties that involve lifting, heavy lifting, carrying, climbing, and/or operation of manual worksite tools;
• Ability to follow safety instructions and be regularly attentive to ongoing tasks at the worksite;
• Must be able to work in cool and wet outdoor weather conditions;
• Ability to take initiative and possess good judgment;
• Ability to follow instruction, work independently and as part of a team;
● Effective communication skills and ability to cooperatively work in a team environment;
● A valid driver’s license would be considered an asset;
● Must wear required safety gear including protective footwear, Hardhats and high-vis vest.
The duration of this term will be to March 30, 2018.
Submit 1) Cover Letter and 2) Resume to Melody Robinson, Kitasoo Band Council Human Resource Officer at Kitasoo Band Council Administrative Office by November 14, 2017 12:00 Noon. Interviews will be conducted after closing date.