Job Posting - Súa Youth Cultural Program Supervisor Position
Duration: August 10 2016 – October 15 2016
Hours: Approximately 6-10 hours per week
|Skills/Traits Required:||Skills you will Learn:|
This position is a unique opportunity to work with youth of all ages, local tourism and community members. It offers cultural enrichment, personal growth and weekly fun with a group of talented, vibrant and motivated young people. The position is open to any adult aged 19+ who is responsible, reliable, professional and approachable. The position involves preparing for and supervising Súa performances in the Big House. You will work with Spirit Bear Lodge, Súa performers and the community to ensure that Súa continues to be a fun, respectful and professional space. The supervisor must be comfortable working with children and young adults of all ages and managing large groups (up to 20 youth) with the support of the program’s ambassadors (Eliza, Jamie, Ivan) and other young leaders in the group. Note that this position is available to parents who would need to bring children to work with them who are old enough to participate under supervision (4+).
The supervisor’s position will include but may not be limited to:
- Supporting ambassadors and other youth to be leaders for their peers.
- Choosing songs, stories and dances for performances and informing performers about what to prepare.
- Helping youth prepare for performances.
- Enforcing expectations of behaviour of Súa performers, mediating social dynamics among the group and communicating with families to address inappropriate behaviour.
- Posting reminders about performance times and practices on Facebook and via VHF.
- Operating basic lighting and sound equipment with instruction.
- Organizing Big House clean up.
- Updating Spirit Bear Lodge management about Sua activities.
- Logging hours worked by Súa performers and submitting them for payroll.
- Keeping inventory of Súa equipment and regalia.
- Helping Spirit Bear Lodge staff pack up Súa equipment and regalia at the end of the season.
TO APPLY please send a message of your interest to Lisa Hackett (Program Coordinator) by email at email@example.com on Facebook or in writing at Spirit Bear Lodge. A resume and cover letter are not required though are assets in your application. We look forward to hearing from you!